We’ve talked in my previous posts about just how powerful and awesome Young Living essential oils are. Below are some tips and guidelines for how to safely use Young Living essential oils.
1. Store essential oils in a secure place away from children and pets.
2. Be aware that skin irritations are rare but if you have any kind of side effect, reduce the use of the oils or take a break as it is most likely due to your body detoxing.
3. Read and follow all instructions on the label carefully.
4. Unless otherwise stated, never use essential oils on your skin without diluting the essential oil with a carrier oil (see the handy dilution chart below for guidance).
5. If an essential oil or essential oil blend gets into your eye or other sensitive area, use a carrier oil to remove it. Water will spread it and make it worse!
6. Don’t apply essential oils to sensitive areas. It’s recommended that you avoid applying essential oils to sensitive areas such as eyes, ears, and mucous membranes.
7. Start slow. When you first begin using these oils, it’s easy to get excited and overload. Be sure to properly dilute and start with just a few drops.
8. Some oils are photosensitive. These will mostly be with citrus oils. Always read the label and if it is a photosensitive oil, be sure to avoid direct sunlight or UV rays after application for up to twelve hours.
9. To keep the maximum potency of your essential oils store them away from sunlight and in temperatures below 90 degrees.
For more information you can visit Young Living’s essential oil safety guide here.
*Disclaimer: Statements, products, and techniques mentioned have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
If you have any health conditions, are on any medications, are being seen by a medical professional for any reason, are elderly, pregnant, nursing, have babies or young children or animals please consult your physician or veterinarian as well.