Oh Frankincense, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. No…seriously though. I have legit oil love for Young Living’s Frankincense. First, can we all just marvel at the fact that Young Living includes this amazing oil in the their Premium Starter Kit? ……….Okay, now lets keep moving. Frankincense is so rich in history and has been sought after since ancient times. It has been traded around the Middle East and Africa for over 5,000 years!
Part of the burseraceae (resinous trees and shrubs) family. Young Living Frankincense is steam distilled from the resin (hardened gummy sap) of the Boswellia carterii tree. The term frankincense itself can be used to describe various species of the Boswellia tree. Also known as Olibanum, a word thought to be derived from the Arab word ‘al Luban” which means “milk” in reference to the milky sap from when the tree is cut.
It’s distinctive, rich balsamic scent comes from the naturally occurring constituent alpha-pinene (you can see the therapeutic properties of this compound here, note the references for further reading of these scientific studies). It has long been associated with spiritual and religious traditions; at one point more valuable than gold.
Frankincense essential oil can be used to support overall well being, support a healthy immune system and support healthy skin*. Some favorite ways to use this oil:
- Add a drop to your daily moisturizer to promote healthy skin.*
- Diffuse or apply to temples or crown of head during times of stress for calming and overall head support.*
- Combine with Thieves, Oregano, and Lemon to support the body’s natural defenses.*
- Diffuse to promote a relaxed feeling and for emotional imbalance.*
- Apply a 1-2 drops diluted to throat and chest to support your respiratory system and soothe minor irritations.*
- Use for massage after activity such as workouts, athletic events, or just a long day to support healthy muscle, joint or cartilage function.*
Share your uses and experiences with Frankincense in the comments below!
*These statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.