Ah, Thieves®. The reason a lot of us get started with Young Living Essential oils. Thieves®is a proprietary blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils. This blend was inspired by the legend of four 15th-century French thieves who formulated a special aromatic blend composed of clove, rosemary, and other botanicals to use while robbing dead and dying victims of the plague. After the thieves were caught, they were offered leniency if they would share how they were not affected by the illness.
Found in the Premium Starter Kit, this oil is one that you don’t want to find yourself without. From support for your immune system to cleaning your home, this oil is a must.
A 2006 study conducted at the Entomology Research Institute in India determined that several essential oils are effective in fighting bacterial strains, especially cinnamon oil.
Additional research at Germany’s University of Kiel in 2009 confirmed the traditional medicinal uses of several essential oils, especially cinnamon, lemon, lemongrass and thyme. These four were considered the most effective in fighting bacteria—specifically, six Staphylococcus varieties, including the dreaded MRSA, four Streptococcus strains and three Candida strains. Among the other oils showing “considerable efficacy” against the strains were clove bud and eucalyptus.
Here are some tips and favorite uses of Thieves®
- Put a few drops in your dishwater or dishwasher to thoroughly clean dishes and eliminate odor.
- Diffuse for 15–30 minutes in your home or office to help eliminate airborne bacteria.
- Rub 1 drop onto the bottoms of your feet before heading out for the day.
- Add a drop or two of Thieves to mop water to add extra cleaning power and a fresh scent.
- Diffuse Thieves with a few drops of Orange, Tangerine, or Nutmeg essential oil for a delicious spicy-citrus aroma.
- Add a few drops of Thieves to a basin or bowl of hot water, tent a towel over your head and the basin, and breathe deeply.
- Refresh musty carpets by adding 5 drops of Thieves to a cup of baking soda; combine well and let sit overnight until the oil is absorbed. Sprinkle over carpets and vacuum thoroughly.
- Make a deodorizing room and linen spray by combining 4 drops of Thieves with water in a spray bottle and spraying around the house.
- Use a drop of Thieves on a tissue to remove stains from whiteboards.
- Combine 10 drops of Thieves with a cup of Epsom salt and add to a bath for a nice, relaxing soak.
Do you love Thieves® essential oil? Share your tips and experiences with us in the comments below!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.